08 November 2009

knitless ...

This picture was taken on 27th of October at our Knatter nite .. I meant to get this photo and a blog post up titled "Knitless since Tuesday", but it just didn't happen .. spending the next 2 days after this as a lump on the couch sick is reason enough .. I just didn't have the energy or inclination to hunt down a sweater that I wanted to do.

BUT

You knew there was a but .. heh .. I found one :D **knitterhappydance. And it is just wayyy to cute for words .. NOW .. I wasn't sure if I would use the purple still or try the cardinal red I have .. but I really do have that earmarked for a different project (I'll tell you about that one when I actually get to making it .. )

I found the Bobble-Edged Cardigan, a free pattern at unicornbooks.com. What I really like about this is that it's got texture, but a LOT of stocking stitch .. I've never done bobbles before so I really intrigued by it .. and of course the pattern ... what's rather unique about this is that it doesn't have traditional ribbing ... it uses bobbles for the ribbing .. how cool is THAT!

I've named this Bobble Cardi (ravelry project page) - for now .. until I can get more inventive with a name. The instructions are pretty straight forward - altho I did manage to have to frog it when I was at the 17th row .. yeah i know .. you are NOT surprised ... What I had done, (even tho I made notes) reversed left front and right front on the chart .. I'm doing this pattern pretty much as written. Notice I said .. pretty much as written .. the one difference i'm doing here is that I'm doing the fronts and back as one-piece .. (no pics yet) and I'm doing the size 38 instead of the 40 since the last one I did was a 40. I still have the zipper that matches this yarn and I just might do a double bobble front ribbing instead of 1 row button band - the juries still out for now as I'm going to wait and see just how this fits me.

Gauge is "18 sts and 26 rows = 4" in st st using larger needles",larger needles being size 7. Well when I used the 7s for my swatch,I was like ½" smaller - so .. gauge for this yarn is same rows and stitches on size 8s .. and I tend to knit to gauge .. so I listened to my gut and we'll just have to see how right it is .. course I AM leaving wriggle room with the 'button' band :D

I just started the chart again and have hilighted my notes and specific points to remember lol .. I think that this one is going to work out .. I swear if I doesn't .. I'm going to trade off, throw out, sell, or burn this yarn!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to unicornbooks - this is a new one for me. I've already queued the Wavy Lace cardigan (oy,the size of my queue!!).

    Good luck on the bobbles - for me, I'm not a fan of the look (not an expert on the technique) but I know that you can pull it off!!

    **Isn't it amazing the cost-effectiveness of some yarns? You knit one, two or more sweaters from the same batch of yarn... I have one yarn that has been providing hours of entertainment on and off for YEARS now!!

    tracy in SW WA
    FiberBabble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy you would be amazed at how easy it is to be bobbles .. i do prefer cables .. BUT .. i'd had enough of them at that time, but still wanted texture

    here's a youtube video on how to make a bobble .. WAY easy - honestly!!!

    knitting bobbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. bertiequilts10 November, 2009

    I love the Wavy Lace Sweater and would like to try that one. It has been years since I did some knitting but you can never forget the technique. I dont do wool so was wondering how I would know what I can substitute for it?

    alberta
    bertiequilts@windstream.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bertie .. You can substitute and yarn that has the same gauge .. If you look on the pattern you can that it is so many rows and stitches per inch, you can substitute any yarn that has that same gauge .. Now with recycling a sweater, you might not know what that is off the top of your head .. Let me see what the gauge is for that one ..

    16 sts and 22 rows = 4" in st st using larger needles – size 9 (pattern link - http://www.unicornbooks.com/pattern_RTwavylacecard-SQL3.asp)
    This looks like a worsted weight .. I’m going to google the yarn to know for sure okay .. I’ll send you the links I use so you can follow my thought process ..

    First off, the yarn they recommend - Lana Grossa Royal Tweed - I googled this ( http://tinyurl.com/yf47yk4) .. First hit has a blurb that says this is an aran weight – this is just a bit heavier than worsted .. But not by much .. You can use either ... And sub them out at will so to speak

    I’ve a few sites to share with you .. This one shows by weight and stitches .. GREAT for subbing yarns ..

    http://www.yarnandfiber.com/catalog/yarnbyweight.php
    You can see that worsted and aran (under medium weight are in the same category) Then to find out for sure what exact weight it is when you actually have it unravelled, http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/WPI.htm this will show you how to determine the exact weight of your yarn ..

    As for knowing if it’s the right yarn before you start .. You’ll just have to do it by eye .. This weight is the most common weight used for fall / winter sweaters, afghans and the like .. Spring / summer use double knit / sport weight which is lighter and sock and baby things will generally use fingering or baby weight .. May I suggest that you check out the yarn in a skein for this weight and you’ll be able to tell by eye if it’s the right one .. Sport and worsted are easily told apart due to their size ..

    I hope this helps bertie and glad to have you aboard .. Feel free to post on my blog or email my directly and questions that you might have

    Huggles!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visit. Please feel free to post a comment .. I love to get them ;)